It's very nearly the end of the rollercoaster of a year that is 2020.
As we prepare for a quiet and cosy night in, I put a pan of mulled wine on the hob and thought I would share the recipe for anyone else who fancied a warming, festive mug full to see the new year in.
Take care of yourselves and here is to a happy and healthy 2021.
INGREDIENTS: for 1 bottle of wine
1 orange (or clementine)
2 star anise
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
a pinch of grated nutmeg
50-150g caster sugar (depending how sweet you like it!)
1 bottle of red wine
Optional cheeky extra: a shot of amaretto or brandy
- Peel the zest from all the fruits and add to a saucepan with the juice of the orange.
- Put the saucepan on a medium heat and add the sugar, as well as all the spices.
- Add just enough red wine to cover everything in the pan, and simmer until all the sugar has dissolved. Then bring to a rolling boil for 4-5 minutes which will make a syrup to have as your base for the mulled wine.
- Once you have the syrup, turn the heat down low and add the rest of the bottle of wine. Allow to heat through gently for 5-8 minutes and then serve.
- For the optional cheeky extra, you can add a shot of brandy or amaretto to the bottom of your glass before you add the mulled wine for a boozy kick.
Enjoy, and Happy New Year!